Advertisement

Sudanese protest to reject military takeover

Sudanese protesters built burning barricades on Tuesday night as they took to the streets for a second day in protest against a military takeover that saw the detention of several civilian ministers and politicians.

Monday’s military takeover brought a halt to Sudan’s transition to democracy, two years after a popular uprising toppled long-ruling Islamist autocrat Omar al-Bashir.

Sudan’s armed forces chief defended the military’s seizure of power, saying he had ousted the government to avoid civil war, while protesters took to the streets to demonstrate against the takeover after a day of deadly clashes.

Demonstrators on the streets of Khartoum said they were blocking roads in protests they had organised themselves, in the absence of a political leadership.

They added that a mass protest against the military takeover was scheduled for October 30.

Speaking at his first news conference since announcing the takeover on Tuesday, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan said the army had no choice but to sideline politicians who were inciting against the armed forces.

Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok, who was arrested on Monday along with other members of his Cabinet, had not been harmed and had been brought to Burhan’s own home, the general said.

Later on Tuesday, a source close to Hamdok said he and his wife were at their home and under tight security.

Family sources said they were unable to reach Hamdok or his wife by phone.

The post Sudanese protest to reject military takeover appeared first on SABC News - Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..



from Africa https://ift.tt/3Bm78MK

Post a Comment

0 Comments